Many people who live in cities lose their appreciation for nature. However, they may still appreciate the thought of being outdoors in pleasant weather, perhaps for a hike on a sunny day or to relax on a sunny beach. Of course, there is a lot more to nature than just pleasant sunny afternoons. Nature has a way of surprising a person, and variations in climate/weather are probably the most obvious surprises that you can experience while outdoors.
Here are ten reasons why a tree planter might appreciate being outdoors:
1) Fresh Air: Certainly there are places where the outside air is characterized by pollution and wouldn’t be regarded as fresh and clean, but the majority of the time, if you’re outdoors, the air is better than stale air found in buildings.
2) Sunshine: Humans get about ninety percent of their vitamin D simply from exposure to sunshine.
3) Scenery: What a person perceives as beautiful scenery can vary, depending on where you live, but there are very few people who don’t see the beauty of working as a tree planter in the Canadian outdoors.
4) Health: Generally, if you’re outdoors, you’re getting some sort of exercise which is good for your body.
5) Animals: A lot of people look forward to animal encounters, as long as you’re safe. If you’re a tree planter, it isn’t uncommon for you to see deer, moose, elk, bears, wolves, coyotes, rabbits, foxes, wild cats, and dozens of smaller species of animals and birds.
6) Plants: Many people like gardening. If you spend a lot of time walking around outdoors, you’ll probably learn to recognize dozens or hundreds of different types of plant, flowers, and bushes.
7) Smell: Nature often smells great!
8) Stress Relief: If you’re worried about problems or events in your busy life, going outdoors can provide the mental break that you need to eliminate stress and give you a new perspective on your problems.
9) Improve Your Vision: This is debatable, but several studies have suggested that people who spend a lot of time outdoors are likely to have better long-distance vision than people who sit inside at a desk all day. It seems to make sense.
10) Astronomy: Just because it is night-time doesn’t mean that you need to stop enjoying the outdoors. If you’re outside on a clear night, you’ll have an opportunity to see star-lit skies that are almost impossible to ever see when you’re living in a city.